“Johnny , take a dive / with your sister in the rain / let her talk about the things you can’t explain / to touch is to heal / to hurt is to steal / if ya wanna “Kiss the Sky” / better learn how to kneel / On your knees, boy!”
— Mysterious Ways
On my way, don’t know where I’m goin’
Cross of Iron
— Willi Heinrich
page 183 of 738
Barbarossa: The Russian-German Conflict
— Alan Clark
page 426 of 465
Rollin’round’n my Skull
Slide Show r2k15
- Photos -- the fine print
All photos all rights reserved
Apt 50 Productions unless otherwise indicated. High-resolution files perfect for printing available upon confirmation of a modest donation to a 501(c)(3) of your choice subject to my approval.
© Landis McGauhey 2018
- the campaign was useless
- the terms subsequently secured at the Paris peace-treaty talks were no different then those available before the campaign
- thus American blood and treasure were squandered
- the campaign coerced Hanoi to serious, practical and realistic negotiations in Paris
- the campaign coerced Hanoi to sign the treaty
- the campaign coerced Hanoi to release American POW's
- the campaign therefore was successful
- Hanoi in protest had quit the Paris talks
- Heavy, widescale bombing of the Hanoi-Haphong metroplex ensued for the first time
- Shortly after the end of the bombing, Hanoi returned to the peace talks
- Shortly thereafter a treaty was sealed ostensibly ending American fighting in Southeast Asia
- Shortly thereafter American POW's were released
- the magnificent courage, skill, accuracy and effectiveness of the BUFF crews
- the bombing was accurately and successfully aimed at specific logistical and military targets, thanks to all of the above-cited qualities of the BUFF crews
- among the first deployments of the first-generation of the now-famous electronically-assisted "precision bombing"
- thus, there was no indiscriminate, terrorist "carpet bombing" of urban North Vietnam as has been widely-assumed
- the courage, skill, and accuracy of the BUFFs' essential supporters, the crews of airborne-warning-and-control aircraft, and the crews of aerial-refueling tankers
- the skill, accuracy, effectiveness and Herculean, sleepless endurance of "maintainers" at the bases, without which such a relentless tempo of fighting would have been impossible
- Fact: after a few nights, the campaign stood-down for a night or two. When the campaign resumed, its very-different profile (one can get an idea of its complexity and effectiveness by its nickname, "Basket Weave") presented the target-area's defenders with an utterly new, confusing, and hard-to-beat attack profile.
"Like everything else about American fighting in Southeast Asia, one must study the facts and draw one's own conclusions".At the infamous "Hanoi Hilton", morale soared among American POW's. They well-recognized the distinctive sound of nearby detonation of "strings" of bombs dropped by B-52's. They recognized something unprecedented. Unfortunately, there was a sudden influx of more prisoners, aircrew-survivors of downed bombers. Nevertheless, the POW's felt the this campaign's precedent would win their freedom soon. Indeed, it was not long before they were freed. And regardless of this almost-forgotten campaign's degree of effectiveness or necessity, whatever pole one's opinions reside, let us stir our memories in honor of the courage, skill, effectiveness and stamina of the aircrews and ground crews who accomplished one of the greatest campaigns in the history of strategic aerial bombardment. Let politics not obscure their legacy.
Where is the outrage? The passionate cries of, "DEFEND MARRIAGE!" are not heard. The conservatives considering themselves Christian, dominant in this community, are mute. Their silence is deafening. A local wife shot and killed her husband recently, reports the ModBee. No soap-opera writer would dare pen the circumstances of their lives and marriage(s) as described by the Bee. Such a script would be laughed out of conference. Why? Because this couple's history-- especially as regards marriage-- as described by the Bee is an amazing example of "fact is stranger than fiction". And the avowed "Defenders of Marriage" are not heard. Why?